Question
Posted by: Ansie | 2005/12/05

Where do I get Hospital cover for my baby's delivery?

I'm 22 years old and married, I'm also 3 months pregnant with no medical aid. None of the medical aid institutes that I have contacted will help me with the delivery costs as I'm already pregnant. According to what I've learnt you have to be a member for more than three months before you get pregnant. I live in Gauteng, South Africa. Where can I get sufficient cover for the delivery of my baby?

Expert ImageArchive

You can go to www.optivest.co.za for a medical scheme quote. There are schemes that will provide you with cover for the delivery.

4
Posted by: Pegs | 2006/01/27

Wish I had known all this!!
I eventually used my parent's credit card over 12 months, but since the bill came to R17000, you can imagine what we had to pay back per month!!

Reply to Pegs
Posted by: T-toes | 2006/01/20

Liberty Health would also accept you as a concession member. You hve to shop around for a medical aid that is hungry enough. The big lazy ones that support a lot of sport and hiking to K2 are not hungry enough for your business! Momentum is pretty new and Liberty is intensly client focused. Fedhealth is another one that is branding itself towards the younger market-so get into contact with one of them-they must help you. Prescribed minimum benefits are dictated by law and remember that no medical aid has the right to refuse cover just because you are pregnant

Reply to T-toes
Posted by: Goggatjie | 2005/12/17

Dear Ansie

I had the same problems in January. I was 5/6 months pregnant and no medical aid. Baby was due on 1 April 2005. In February we went on Momentum Health and they promised us to pay for everything. I had my doubts about this. On the 10th of March, baby decided it was time to meet the world. I was very scared that we might ran into money trouble.

I was shocked and relieved when we got our statement form the medical aid in the beginning of April and EVERYTHING was paid in full.

So far we are very happy with them and had no problems at all. I am pregnant again now (4 months). I really do believe that Momentum Health is a great medical aid.

Here is there contact number: 0860 11 78 59, they also have a website you can check out: www dot momentumhealth dot co dot za .

All the best

Reply to Goggatjie
Posted by: Nicky | 2005/12/05

You could possibly get a loan from an Insurance Company such as Sanlam.

Reply to Nicky