Question
Posted by: Helen | 2007/03/07

When will they be friends

We have a dalmation puppy of 9 weeks old, and 2 grown persian cats, the problem is, the puppy terrorises the one cat all the time, I'm scared that when she is bigger she will hurt the cat badly! How can I stop this from happening? I shout, I scream I smack, but still she goes for the cat, its still playful for now, but what about when she is bigger? Pls give advice? Will getting another dog keep her away from the cats?

No another dog probably won't keep her from the cats. One will need to take her to school to train her to obey voice commands because the cats can do her serious damage - especially if they scratch her in the eye.

2
Posted by: Joan | 2007/03/07

My pup and cat are friends it took them a while with the pup biting and chewing on the cat but my Smegal cat put my pup in place and now they are the best of friends when i open the gates so the dogs can go run on the farm then the cat goes with , my pup even nibbles on my cat they sleep together under the duvet on the bed. It happened all by themselves i didn't interfere just leave them be your cats wont get hurt trust me a cat can be vicious if need be they can protect themselves. And your pup will learn how rough to play with your cats and who knows they might become best friends like mine and are inseperable.

Reply to Joan
Posted by: Acineth | 2007/03/07

She is a puppy and is exploring her world. Give her time to be socialised to the cats. would you smack a baby? Puppies should not be hit, if nothing else works, spray her with water. Getting another dog will probably only result in your having 2 dogs playing with the cat. I think your puppy would benefit from you enrolling in a puppy socialising course.

Reply to Acineth