Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/06/05

When will I feel normal

Hello

I am in my 30's and for as long as I can remember I have been doing the following: I repeat things. If I am getting dressed or filling a cup (basically anything) and I have a bad thought I repeat it over and over until the bad thought goes. I find it gets really bad during times of stress and times when my hormones are a bit up and down (I am female). I am currently heavily pregnant and it is really bad. I have thoughts of God and I think bad things. Things like I will die or someone close will.
I am on a mild anxiety tab/ anti dep. Been on for about a month.
When will this go away.
I cannot go on like this.

Sounds like a classic description of an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder --- and fortunately it responds well to treatment, by CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and medication. As you are pregnant, find someone who can start CBT ( as one would be cautious about using medication during pregnancy ) and you could be feeling relief soon, and can complete the job later by adding the medication to the CBT. No anxiety drug would be appropriate, and there should be caution about antidepressants during pregnancy. Do NOT work on this with a GP, but arrange to see a good local psychiatrist as soon as possible, and you can make all this go away, and then look forwad to enjoying a brighter freer way of life, and enjoy a happy life with your family and child