Question
Posted by: Red | 2007/08/01

When to take what supplement?

my husband does not want to take a general vitamin and mineral supplement but want to only take a specific supplement when the days' diet is lacking in any of the required RDA of any vitamin or mineral. For example: If the days' meals did not include milk or any diary products, on that day he would want a calcium supplement. If the days' diet excluded anything containing Vitamin A then he wants to take a VIt A supplement.

1. Is this possible? Feasible?
2. Is this healthy?
3. How would I know what supplements will be required. I have found a table containing list of food types that contain the major Vitamins and Minerals but how would I know how much of a food, for example "leavy green vegetable" will contain the RDA for, say, Vitamin A?

Please help?

Dear Red
I think it is important that you tell your husband that the best way of ensuring that you ingest all the vitamins and minerals you require on a daily basis is to eat a balanced diet which contains all the food groups. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search to find the article I wrote this year on "ARE VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS FATAL?". The current approach is that we do not need to take supplements, but if you do, then it is far better to take a combined vitamin and mineral supplement because the individual vitamins and minerals work best when used in combination. However if you eat a well balanced diet and are not ill or exposed to stresses or have a proven deficiency of any one nutrient, then you don't need to take supplements. Taking individual supplements at random, is not really a good idea.

1
Posted by: alternative | 2007/08/02

You don't need to take supplements, they don't do anything and in many cases are harmful - the most effective way of making sure you are not deficient in anything is to eat correctly and get plenty of exercise.

If you don't drink milk one day or a month does not mean your bones will crumble from a lack of calcium. Eskimos don't have any milk and their bones are fine. Same thing applies for all the other vitamins and minerals.

The real story is people are deficient in everything because they eat enormous amounts of sugar and carbohydrates-this is what causes deficiencies and any amount of vitamin and mineral supplements will not help

Reply to alternative