Question
Posted by: Rialene | 2003/12/04

When to start give cows milk to baby

Hi When can I start to give my 7mnth old baby cows milk instead of formula. He is eating 3 times a day and drinking 3-4 bottles in 24 hours. Can I give him cows milk. He is not allergic to anything and weights 8.8 kg.

Dear Rizalene
It is usual to try out if a baby can tolerate cow's milk by giving him a small quantity of the milk diluted 50:50 with boiled, cooled water. If your baby does not react in any way (skin rashes, stuffy nose or diarrhoea) then you can gradually phase out the formula and replace it with diluted cow's milk. As he grows older you can allow him to drink undiluted milk. Your baby is rather heavy for 7 months as his weight is already at nearly 9 kg which is the weight of a 1-year-old child, so resist the temptation to overfeed him. Hopefully his weight gain will soon slow down, when he starts to crawl and toddle.

1
Posted by: Rialene | 2003/12/08

Thanks, he is rather tall as well, but skinny. He is 71cm long. I will follow your advice. Regards

Reply to Rialene