Question
Posted by: Sad fatty | 2004/03/08

When to eat

Dear Doc,
Thanks for replying my last message. I simply love this forum because you get all sorts of advice and I know I am not alone. Your help is appreciated.

Another question I have is "snacking". Should I be eating only the 3 meals, or is eating in-between ok. How many hours should I leave between meals before I eat again?

Dear Reader
Thank you for your kind words which make my day! Research has actually indicated that so-called 'nibblers' who eat 6 or more small meals a day are less inclined to gain weight than 'gorgers' who eat 1-3 large meals a day. Now it must be kept in mind that this only applies if you 'nibble' low-fat, high-fibre foods and distribute your food intake over the 6 meals, i.e. don't eat 3 large meals plus snacks, but rather split up each one of the bigger meals into 2 smaller ones. For example: split breakfast into 2 meals: fruit juice plus oats and low-fat milk at breakfast and wholewheat toast with fat-free yoghurt and an apple at 'tea time'. A gap of 2-3 hours between meals should be sufficient.