Question
Posted by: joey | 2004/01/18

when to check out breast lump

I have a family history of breast cancer and check my breasts regularly. I recently discovered a new lump and made an appointment to see my very thorough gynea for the week after my period should have ended. I am also due a smear test and thought i could do an all over check at the same time. My appointment date is still 2 weeks away and my period is a day or two overdue, and I am increasingly anxious about the lump which is small, hard and not painful, unlike my usual pre-menstrual breast lumps. Should I wait till the appointment or go now despite having been told it is better to check lumps fter a period?

My main concern is, If I wait for 2 weeks how serious is this if the lump is NOT benign.

Thanks for a speedy response! I tend to worry easliy and am not sleeping well because of this situation.

If you are concerned about the lump, make an appointment with a breast clinic. Gynaecologists do not deal with breast lumps other than referring them on.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/19

Why not phone your gynae and explain how you feel, perhaps you can get an earlier appointment. If not, then keep your gynae appointment, and make a GP appointment for sooner. I don't know if two weeks makes much difference in the long term.

Reply to Purple