Question
Posted by: lisa | 2007/05/21

when is the best time to eat yoghurt?

Hi "doc"

I am hoping you will be able to help us by answering the following questions please.

When is the best time to eat yoghurt- breakfast, lunch or supper?

What are the implications of eating yoghurt directly after a meal?

Will eating a yoghurt after a meal hinder digestion or aid digestion?

We have two sons and I like to give them a yoghurt after supper as a "filler" but my husband seems to think it is not healthy as it will "sit on top" of all the dinner and hinder digestion, neutralising the acids in the stomach? Is this true?

Thanking you in advance for your help. It is much appreciated.

LO

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Lo
There is no specific time to eat or not to eat yoghurt to my knowledge. Yoghurt will certainly not neutralize stomach acid or hinder digestion; on the contrary, good bacteria present in yoghurt should theoretically aid this process.
If you are looking for a probiotic effect however, adequate dose is seldom guaranteed in a yoghurt as it is difficult to stabilize these products. A supplement is a better option in this regard. Refer to www.biogaia.se for more information on probiotics.
Yoghurt is healthy none the less and can’t do any harm.