Question
Posted by: Friend | 2004/10/01

When is it due?<br>

My friend is almost 40 weeks pregnant. She had her last period on 25 December 2003 wich makes her due date 30 September.
She is not feeling any contractions and im a bit worried.
She went to the docter but they cant see anything wrong and want to send her for a sonar in 2 weeks. How long does it normally take after the projected due date?

It could happen within the next week or two but she would not be allowed to go much above 41 weeks

4
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/01

They give you some medication to induce labour. In other words you will go into labour as soon as the medication is given. Don't panic it is not dangerous to your baby and you. The only side effects is that you will get labour pain much stronger. Discuss this with your doctor and decide on that. If I am you I won't wait until 42 weeks 'cause natural birth would become very difficult at that stage (depends on your baby size)

Reply to Francis
Posted by: friend | 2004/10/01

What is induced?

Reply to friend
Posted by: Francis | 2004/10/01

40 - 42 weeks is normal, but normally the doctors will induce you at 40 weeks.

If this is her first child she would probably not have her baby on her due date. I think she must ask to be induced within the next week.

Still her choice and if the doctor are happy with her to walk up untill 42 weeks then it still is her decision. Normally a c-section will be done at 38 weeks so she is more than entitle to have her labour be induced.

Reply to Francis
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/10/01

Hi Friend

If this is her 1st pregnancy she can go up to 42weeks. There after the doc. will decide what would be the best for her and baby. They normally won't let her walk for to long after 40weeks. It all depends on how baby is doing aswell as your friend.

Hope all goes well...

Reply to Marlene