Posted by: A-nonnie | 2008/08/18

When is it child abuse?

I recently moved. In the two months I have lived there the lady next door who according to the landlord is a prostitute has not stopped shouting at her 15month old. Mostly the landlord' s maid looks after the child in the maids quarters sometimes for a week on end. But the few times the child is with the mother she shouts at him at the top of her voice.

Sharup Sharup
You are a f*ckup
You are f*cking up my life
Sharup Sharup

on and on and on for hours and hours sometime she put her music so loud as if to drown out his contstant crying. Yes he does cry constantly I' ve never known a child his age cry so much.

But when do you do something? There are only 3 units on this premises and the main house which is the landlords. Surely she' ll also know it was me?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

This does indeed sound like abusive and neglectful child care, and the Child Welfare authorities ought to be notified. Ask them how they can protect you from any negative consequences from having made the report to them --- they ought to be able to help with that, including supporting you in getting a court order forbidding any form of harassment of you. DO report it.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Love | 2008/08/18

I will take the child if he/she needs a home.

Reply to Love
Posted by: Lolo | 2008/08/18

Cases of child abuse in the home are usually discovered by an observant neighbour, who may reasonably suspect assault or cruelty. In such instances, any suspicions that the neighbour may have should be reported immediately to the nearest police station.

A child who has been ill-treated, or who is beyond the control of normal parental discipline, can be brought before a children' s courts, taken away from the parents and put in the care and control of the authorities.

Reply to Lolo
Posted by: B | 2008/08/18

As i am reading this, I am crying, the poor child. The mother should go to jail and the keys thrown in the deepest ocean. Please, I beg you phone someone now, so that child can start getting the love and attention he/she has a right to get.

Reply to B
Posted by: BB | 2008/08/18

Please contact someone about this.
We cant pretend ' its not our business' , when something might happen to this child, it will be on your conscience that you didnt speak up sooner. Please I beg of you. Speak out about it.

Reply to BB
Posted by: anon | 2008/08/18

there are new laws now regarding child abuse - the fact that you dont report it makes you an accessory


Reply to anon
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/08/18

My heart is aching at what you describe. This is child abuse. The mother is destroying the heart and soul of this poor child who needs so much love and understanding. How unbearable it must be for you to hear this everyday. Something has to be done. Does she have any other family you can maybe contact who would be able to step in and help? Would you be able to talk to the domestic who takes care of the child? This will take courage and I think you have courage.

Reply to Hope*

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.