Question
Posted by: Marabi | 2007/08/09

When is C-section absolutely necessary?

I am 35 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I had to change gynaes with this pegnancy. I had my first baby at 40 weeks and went into labour , which lead to a 19 hour delivery (with a double induction) My blood pressure was elevated and some protein was found in my urine ( pe-eclampsia..) The gynae was great and allowed me some time for a normal delivery of a 100% healthy baby girl!

With this pregnancy the new gynae is very satisfied with my progress and babies', he does not believe that labour should take as long as 19 hours, and advised me ahead of time that he would consider a C-section if I do dilate very slow again. I know that second babies does not tend to take as long as first labours, but I still am hoping for a natural birth. Which poses the question -- when is a C-Section truelly justified ( and how long can I be in natural labour and dilating before it becomes risky for the baby.)

The active phase of labour (from 3 cm dilatation) should not take more than 8 hours. However, there are different reasons for delay. If, for example, the problem is that the contractions are not strong enough, then you could be given medication to make them stronger and you would then be allowed a longer time. If the problem is that the baby is too big, then you may not even be allowed 8 hours. In the end, I think that you will have to trust your doctor in labour. If you are not happy, rather switch to someone else now.