Question
Posted by: karrie - anne | 2003/03/26

when habbits become too much

hi my name is karrie - anne im 16 years old and 1.75m tall. today my weight was 47 and a half kilograms. my problem first started when a my friend and i started modellling together. the agency had concerns about our weight when we first started about a year ago ( at the time i weighed 54kg) they together with our parents concluded that to be successful i needed to lose about 5-8kg.over the last few months i have been very conscious about what i eat or rather dont eat. i think i might be over doing it a bit though. i exercise at least 5 times a week incorporating weight training and cardio as well as doing tennis, netball & swimming at school. i often find myself having to lie to family and friends as well as my school who have become quite concerned over the past few months. im constantly moody and although i do eat during the day i have repeatedly found myself purging after a "big meal". what advice can you give me - i think im going insane! i think i have a problem but am not sure how to address it please could you offer me some advice on the matter.

Dear Karrie-Anne
I am also worried about you because from what you tell me, your career as a model and the excessive dieting have not only pushed you into the underweight category with a BMI of 15 (your ideal weight for height would be 68 kg!!! with a BMI of 22), but you have also developed bulimia, a serious Eating Disorder. You need to get help ASAP. Please consult both a clinical psychologist to help you work out the underlying problems that are driving you to self-destruct (ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist) and a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to obtain the name of your nearest dietitian) to help you get back to eating normally again. No modelling career is worth your ruining your health and psychological well-being. Go for that help before your young life is in tatters. At your age you should be having a ball and eating normally so that you can finish growing.
Take great care