Question
Posted by: MANI | 2004/01/13

When does your body take CALCIUM in?

I dont get enough calcium in. I do take a calcium sandoz before going to be round 10pm. Is calcium best absorbed by the body at night. If so, should I drink all the milk I need in the evening because I would be wasting my time trying to take calcium in during the day? I plan to drink 3 glasses of milk a day and I also eat about 55 grams of fat free cottage cheese a day. Is this enough and when should I take it in?

Dear Mani
There is some indication that calcium is best absorbed at night, so it is a good idea to take the Calcium Sandoz after supper. However, it is difficult to ingest 3 glasses of milk and the cottage cheese in one go, so there is no harm in spreading these foods over the other meals of the day. If you do take Calcium Sandoz which supplies 500 mg and 3x 300 ml of milk which supplies approx. 900 mg and a portion of cottage cheese which would supply about 60 mg of calcium, then you would be getting about 1500 mg of calcium a day, which is actually 50% more than the RDA of 1000 mg. If you have a calcium deficiency at present then you can take this amount of calcium until the deficiency has been eliminated. After this, you need only take 1000 mg of calcium a day, as ingesting too much calcium can also cause problems such as kidney stones - more is not always better.