Question
Posted by: Alf | 2004/10/24

Wheezing, allergy, COPD, lung infection, nightsweat & other simptoms

I'm a male almost 49 years old and have the following proplems: Allergy as long as I can remember. Also at the age of 13 and around 30 I had nerveos breakdowns. Appart from bladder & prostate infections and a few operations in this regard, an operation to staigten the septum in my nose I lived a pretty healthy live untill now. I have a stressfull job, (have always tended to get stressed easily) and have worked very hard over the last two years (even little rest at home working over weekends.) A year ogo I fell ill with a lung infection after I got the flu. After treatment with antibiotics it cleared but then a wheezing sound at the top of my lungs was discoverd with no apparent reason. (I dont smoke but worked with tile cement recently) 8 months ago it started to get difficult to swallow.About four 4 weeks ago I started with flu which eventualy changed into lung infection again. I could not stay of work and was presribed antibiotics but it got worse. X-rays was taken and infection diagnosed as well as a degree of COPD and emphyzema. Landing up in hospital they did a gastroscopy (found a bit of red tissue and candida). I was treated for lung infection and they also treated me for panic attacts ( had this at the age around 30) I was released from hospital after three days and finished my fourth course of antibiotics plus treatment for candida. I was also given Seritide and an asmapump to use ( they took X-rays again in hospital but did not see any trace of COPD.). I was also given something for gastric reflux, cipralex and something to relax. The cipralex and stuff to relax I am scared to take for very apparent reasons. I however now have irritation in the lungs,larinx and throat, battle to sleep, break out in nightsweat, cannot take pressure and feel dpressed. Could this not all be because of Candida or is it depression. How can I know

Alf, it might be due to a combination of depression, candida and industrial exposure. There is no reason for you to be scared of Cipralex – it’s an excellent and safe drug.
If I were you I would take the following:
1. Seretide®.
2. The GORD medication.
3. Cipralex®.
And keep the following close by:
1. The asthma pump.
2. The stuff for the panic attacks.
The other option would be to see a specialist physician and get a second opinion. Good luck.