Question
Posted by: Bibi | 2007/05/28

wheat/maize allergy

It is suspect that I suffer from wheat intollerance.
Whenever I ask my GP to do tests, he either says that the tests are very expensive or not accurate.

I get heart pulpitations, extremely tired, suffer from terrible migraine like headaches, sinus etc. At times it almost feels like i'm about to have a heart attack shortly after having bread / rusks / pasta.

I've been avoiding all wheat for about 3 weeks.
Yesterday for breakfast I tried having maize meal porridge as I ran out of oats. I didn;t think that maize would be a problem.

Not even 30minutes after having the maize meal I felt terrible. I couldn't keep my eyes open and my heart was pulpitating in my throat. Even ringing in my ears.

My colleagues reckon it could be fatal?!?!?!

Please give me clarity on the wheat/maize allergy and... can it really be fatal??

Thank you,

Dear Bibi
It can be fatal if it causes swelling of the throat or bronchospasm - you can have a blood test for wheat allergy and yes it is expensive but may be worth it in your case.