Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2005/07/06

Wheat/gluten allergy

I am 35 years old and over the past 6 months have had constant runny tummy, a homeopath said I have an intolerance to lactose and gluten and should avoid them and reintroduce them later. Which breakfast cereals can you suggest - I love allbran and wheatbix with milk. I have tried rye bread - which has helped. But I can't give up coffee/tea and milk altogether. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dear Michelle
It is always better to have allergy tests done, rather than going by unscientific diagnoses. Your diarrhoea could be caused by many other factors (irritable bowel syndrome, fructose sensitivity, allergy to other foods instead of wheat and milk). Please consult your medical dr so that you can have the appropriate tests done before you cut out vital food groups which you may or may not be allergic to. All breakfast cereals except maize meal and Maltabella contain wheat or gluten. If you are going to cut out milk and dairy products you also need to take a calcium supplement such as Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz, otherwise you will develop a calcium deficiency which could cause osteoporosis in later life.