Question
Posted by: anon | 2005/07/11

&lt;br>Whats wrong with me ?<br>

IM A 34 YR FEMALE. I HAVE A VERY STRESSFULL JOB IN A HIGH DEMANDING POSITION . MY PERSONALITY IS VERY STRONG AND I CONSIDER MYSELF DOMINEERING. I AM THE MAIN BREAD WINNER AT HOME. I HAVE HIGH GOALS IN MY LIFE AND HAVE ACHIEVED THEM CONSIDERABLY. I HAVE EVERYTHING I WANT. A GOOD HUSBAND, 2 LOVELY TEENAGE GIRLS, MY OWN HOME , A GOOD PAYING JOB ETC.
BUT LATELY ALL I WANT TO DO IS BREAK DOWN AND CRY. AND BELIEVE ME THIS IS NOT ME. THE SLIGHTEST UPSET WILL MAKE ME CRY.
I DONT KNOW WHAT THE SYMPTOMS OF A NERVOUS BREAK DOWN IS. COULD THIS BE THE START ?

"Nervous Breakdown" is a non-mdical term of obscure meaning. But you could well be developing a Depression, a disorder which responds very well to proper treatment. maybe see a good local shrink for assessment and a discussion of your treatment choices.
Speedy is absolutely right about the great value of a break ( rather than a breakdown ) --- taking even a relatively short break away from the work-related stress, relaxing, footling round and taking it easy ; maybe devoting oneself to one of one's hobbies or avocations. I like his /her hobby, too, of "buy with the eyes", economical and satisfying !
But the other thing I think Speedy and yourself should then attend to, would be, possibly with the temporary aid of a psychologist, to assess the stressfulness of your normal job, checking out where stresses can and should be delegated to others ; where they can be made less stressful, and how you could pace the job as a whole so as to better preserve your strengths and abilities --- and to develop better stress management techniques so as to avoid reaching the point of cisis in the future !

2
Posted by: Gonzales | 2005/07/11

Hey Speedy, did you leave work or are you just on a few weeks holiday???

Reply to Gonzales
Posted by: Speedy | 2005/07/11

I'm sitting in an Internet Cafe on the South Coast, just paging around the Internet today and this is my 2 nd week away from it all. You know why ?
Cause i also have an extremely stressfull position as a Senior Medical person at a well known Private Hospital and three weeks ago i almost broke the whole place down. And that is cause i handle sssoooo much stress every day ( sometimes you dont even rialise it ) that my body so to speak, called halt.
If you know me, you would never ever believe what i have done because that was not me.

but you know what ? Today i'm back to normal. So i can recommend you to take a brake. I sleep till late, get up and just wonder through all the shopping malls and buy with my eyes.---even go to Ster Kinekor every 2 nd or 3 rd day. ( and i have not been there in years.

Reply to Speedy