Question
Posted by: Just me | 2007/08/14

Whats the difference?

What is the difference between kj and ka? Why does most food labels only give you the kj but when you diet they tell you to look at your ka intake.

Dear Just Me
I presume you mean 'ca' for calories?? Calories are the non-metric measure of food energy while kilojoules are the metric measure. 1 cal = 4.2 kJ, so every time you see an energy value expressed in kilojoules you divide by 4.2 to find the calorie value. In SA we generally recommend that adult women should eat 1500 cal or 6300 kJ per day when they need to lose weight.