Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2004/11/07

Whats in a name

Been on cipramil 2 months now and I cannot tell you what it has done for my life. In the first 3 weeks I though it was going to drive me mad but my advice to anyone using it, hang tough the end results are totally worth it. My only problem now is the stuff is getting soooo expensive, with these new laws (supposed to make medicine cheaper...yeah sure) I really cannot afford them anymore.
I have seen so many other names for cipramil ie celexa , cilift ect
Are these generics? Are they any good?
Are there any cheaper ssri's out there, the tricyclics are cheaper I know but they dont work with me

I agree, amanda, all those promises about making medicines cheaper were a farce, a bunch of incompetent decisions by people totally lacking in the experience and sense to produce the desired effects.
Any how, DO feel free to switch to the generics ; I have used Cilift with excellent results --- in fact I sometimes thought the efects were a little better than with Cipramil. By law ( and this law actually does generally work !) all generics must be chemically identical to the original drug, so there ought to be no significant difference at all, between them, apart from the look of the tablet, and name on the box, and the price.
Cilift et al are chepaer generic SSRI's, and there are obviously generic versions of Prozac and some other SSRI's,
So, I agree with Chelle and Shaun --- spot on !

2
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/08

Hi Amanda,

AQs far as I understand about generics, it is the chemical equivalent of a patented product. The patented product licenses itself for a period of time, when this period of time elapses, then other manufacturers may make the drug. This drug is by all aspects chemically the same as the patent drug, but in most cases much cheaper.
The patented product is generally so expensive to cater for research purposes. The generic manufacturer doesn't carry the cost of research, but only the cost of "duplication" which is next to nothing.

This is my understanding.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/08

I changed from Cipramil to Cilift after one month, and it's worked just as well, at half the price.

Reply to Chelle