Question
Posted by: greywolve | 2004/02/27

Whats a good multivitamin/mineral and what extras are needed?

Hey, I do gym and soon ill be starting cardio too.

What multivitamins/minerals are good for active people? and what minerals/vitamins should i take in addition to the multi?
i was thinking vitamin E, C, and calcium, zinc, magnesium, and folic acid, your opinion dietdoc?
:)

Dear Grey Wolf
It is always a good idea to take a multivitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn because some of the B vitamins work best when taken in conjunction with other B vitamins, and you need vit D for proper absorption of calcium, etc, etc. If you are already taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement then DON'T take additional vitamins or minerals as excessive intakes can be harmful. Don't think that if a small amount of a nutrient is good for you, then a big amount will be even better - some of the vitamins and minerals can be toxic if you take too much. Also consider that if you are eating a balanced diet you may not really need extra supplements!
Take care

4
Posted by: L | 2009/01/11

I have been diagnosed as having iron deficiency, or low iron and my doctor has prescribed me Autrim. I have been taking the daily supplement on and off but not now for 3 weeks (holidays, forgot them at home).

At the same time I used to take Supradyn recharge (for many months) and also forgot to take these over the holidays.

I eat relatively healthy perhaps with too little fruits and veges, but I don' t overeat on fat or starches,always have wholewheat bread etc. I work long hours sometimes at the office, but as yet my exercise is very limited because I rarely have the energy. I have felt extremely faint the last week, despite having 2 boiled eggs with wholewheat toast fro breakfast, I have had to have a cup of oxtail soup at 10am the last week just to give me a pick me up...

My question. I have now started taking my iron supplement again (only started) so I presume the effect will take a while before it comes through to me. It is almost apparent to me I need a vitamin supplement, just to get through my usual daily chores and I would really like to start exercising, albeit 10minutes a day to get started. What vitamin supplement could you recommend that will really be beneficial to me because I have no idea with all the brands on the shelf...

Would really appreciate an answer here

Many thanks

L

Reply to L
Posted by: CVS | 2008/07/16

My 19 year old daughter is sleeping her life away,she's always tired.Blood tests showed that her iron levels are low as well as her blood pressure.She suffers from occasional faints & sharp pains at the back of her head.
The doctor prescribed Provgil to keep her awake! Does this make sense? Please advise which would be a good multi vitamin for her to take.She stopped taking the Provigil,because she cannot sleep at all now.

Reply to CVS
Posted by: sharonm | 2008/07/15

Hello, I am a 53 yr old female, coming off of yazmin after several years for menopausal releif, I am experiencing and have been for a while, muscle pain, joint stiffness and at night it feels as though the muscles in my feet are drawing, also my feet shake or twitch at night, Painful to walk when i get up gets somewhat better when i stir for a while. feet and hands seem to always be hot. some swelling, slightly,

Reply to sharonm
Posted by: Amy | 2004/02/27

I reckon the best multivitamin would be Pharmaton.
It is packed with everything. My mom was very run down and constantly getting sick. She has been on pharmaton now for a while and the results are amazing.
It is quite costly, but if you can afford it, go for it.

Reply to Amy