Question
Posted by: SBN | 2007/08/24

What's wrong with me?

Evening CS.

I've been having a real hard time lately. It's like PMS 24/7/365. My baby boy's 20 months old and since his birth I've been having these extreme mood swings. The one minute I'll be bouncing around the room and the next I just want to sleep or kill myself.I think of ending my life alot lately. And I've even planned how and where. I know part of it's hormonal, but can hormones influence one's life so drastically? I really need help as I'm driving my poor husband crazy (he's like a cat on a hot tin roof when he's around me).

Thank You for your time!
SBN

Could be a variety of PND, Post-Natal Depression, S, and this is both a serious disorder, and, fortunately, one that generally responds well to treatment. Hormomes can indeed help to create such a nasty disorder --- FO, PLEASE, see a good local shrink asap, for assessment and treatment --- there's no need to remain in this miserable condition, rather than enjoying the baby and the rest of your life.
Anon and Hope* are right --- see to this, and join the group

4
Posted by: liesie | 2007/08/27

I feel like a total mishap. Anxiety attacks, gaining weight, problems getting along with people, binging food and drinks. ADHS suffurer and on anti-depressant (cilift) for 2 years.
What can I do to improve my quality of life.

Reply to liesie
Posted by: x depo mom | 2007/08/25

I had the same aftr the birth of my second child! Went to see a doc after I almost killed myslef, was diagnosed iwth PND and went on medication. My boys now 9 and 6 and we are living a wonderful life. I took my meds....only for a while.... today I take my Prim eve oil and vitamins.... and eat well!

Good luck and enjoy that young one....!!

Reply to x depo mom
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/08/25

Anon is right, it really is very important to see your GP as soon as possible. Join us on PND chat and read some of the stories.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: anon | 2007/08/24

Have you been to your Dr for a full medical checkup. Thats your first port of call to rule out thyroid for instance, could cause havoc, especially after giving birth. Your next port of call would be a psychiatrist and counselling psychologist. You may be suffering from postnatal depression. Please make an appt asap or if you are feeling really bad ask your Dr to take you to your nearest hospital casualty dept, they can also give you a thorough checkup and do the necessary tests.

Lifeline is available 24/7 there is always someone to talk to.
Becoming a parent is a shock to one's system and body, with lack of sleep and the immense responsibility of now having a baby who is totally dependent on you for all their needs, not to mention the hormonal ups and downs. Personally I was misdiagnosed after giving birth with depression. They never checked my thyroid at all. I felt so tired, to unable to cope and just out of sorts. My moods also were not stable. Eventually a couple of years down the line a Dr did my thyroid profile and I was put on eltroxin. I felt like a different person, so it might be as simple as that but whatever it is you need a diagnosis.

Do you have a support system, like household help, parents, siblings, close friends. Are you a stay at home mom or are you working.

There are support groups out there call the Anxiety & Depression HelpLine. There is also a forum go to TALK Postnatal Depression.

Enjoy your baby and take care of yourself!

Reply to anon