Posted by: Hamilton | 2009/04/24

What' s wrong with him?

My father has always had anger issues, ever since I can remember he has threatened to kill us or burn our house down or something like that. As children, my sisters and I would take shifts in staying awake for 2 hours at a time each in order to alert the others to my father' s intentions. As you can imagine, this was incredibly stressful and traumatic growing up.
My father would have outbursts on a regular basis where he would throw things around and swear etc. (for the smallest thing, although he never hurt any of us) . Recently, my mother confesses to taking 5 (activans) sleeping tabs so (that she had been taking for years) that if he decided to kill her she would be fast asleep an not feel it. She landed up in hospital with double pneumonia and almost died as the dr did not know she was on such a hgh does and only gave her a half a sleeping tab, which resulted in convulsions. (She also suffers from emphasema)

Now that she has been rehabilitated and is fairly well and not self medicating as well as staying at my sister' s place, we are faced with a enraged father who can' t understand why my mother can' t go home. The problem gets worse as my father can' t seem to remember any o his outbursts. He believes we are making them up to keep my mother from him. He tried to committ suicide about 1 month ago, but we managd to pull him from the car before anything happened. He had a massive motorbike accidient (with head injuries)when he was much younger (30ish) and was in a coma for about 2 weeks. (He is not 63 years old.) I am truely concerned for his safety as well as my mother' s and ours. Can you give me some advise????

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Gosh, what an awful ordeal this has been for all of you ! Its curious if your father genuinely can't remember his violent outbursts --- they might, for instance, be epileptic in nature, and controllable by anti-epileptic medications. And this could well be related to brain damage from the accident all those years ago. Is he not concerned ab out such possibly serious but probably controllable late effects of his major head injury ? If so, can't you calmly persuade him to see a doctor, preferably a neurologist, for a thorough physical and general check-up, including EEG, to see if there are problems of this sort which could be controlled ?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.