Question
Posted by: Neil | 2005/12/12

What's MCQP about this year?

Hi everyone, any idea of what's happening with MCQP this year? Last year I was part of a group of twelve friends who went - of that group only two are going this year. Some are saying its gone "straight", someone else said its gone "corporate", someone else said it had lost its "soul". What are people on this forum thinking about MCQP this year?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Neil and thanks for posting here.

MCQP - the Mother City Queer Project - is possibly South Africa's largest single 'queer' event and takes place every December. This year's party will take place on 17 December and the theme is 'circus'; about 6 000 people will attend in circus-related costumes. Take a look at their impressive website - www.mcqp.co.za

MCQP has very definite gay roots but was always open to straight people who wanted to experience the magic of the event. Enjoying over-the-top 'gay culture' should not be restricted to gay people only - MCQP provides a creative melting-pot of rich diversity for everyone to enjoy.

The gay element of MCQP is very much alive and has been carefully nurtured. For example, this year there'll be a large venue for lesbians only - run by the fabulous Myrna of Lush - and possibly the biggest indoor dark-room for men you could imagine.

So no, I don't think MCQP has lost its "soul" - it has evolved and will hopefully continue to do so in order to remain relevant, dynamic and fun.

15
Posted by: Gabe | 2015/12/18

My wife and I were thinking of attending. We have gay friends and we wanted to have a party with them, a place where they can be open for who they are, where no partying eyes think its odd when two people of the same sex make out. I dont think this event is less gay, but my understanding of gay people is their openness, their solidarity of all and the way they embrace themselves and others. I thought that my wife and I would be welcome to the event, but clearly other gay folk dont want straight people there. Sad actually, especially when unity is needed. Remember, many straight people stood beside our gay friends and family to support them so that such events could be the norm. Now, that it is the norm, we are no longer wanted around by so many. Wow.

Reply to Gabe
Posted by: Paula | 2006/01/05

Well, no doubt about it, it was one VERY over rated event, I don't know who wrote the press review of the party but they were on SOMEthing - that was it, no more MCQP for me. I thought I'd give them one more chance but they've blown it.

Reply to Paula
Posted by: Thabo | 2005/12/16

White elitist stuff, not for me sorry. WHAT relevance does this have to quuer culture? WHAT attention does this focus on gay rights? HOW can such indulgence be justified? WHO do these ppl clain to be?

Reply to Thabo
Posted by: Donna | 2005/12/16

Strange comments you guys but thanks for making me think about this.

Reply to Donna
Posted by: Kyle | 2005/12/16

I agree but it does cater to the masses and can claim a space, as much as i disagree with that.

Reply to Kyle

MCCQP has become a brand like Shell, coke, Durex, plascon, Omo.... sad but true. Its about money. And about exploiting and killing what is good in order to make money.

Posted by: Russell | 2005/12/16

Make no mistake about this beuatiful people, there are five sharp business proplr behind the new MCQP brand (they bought it form Andre Andre Voster, the founder of MCQP), four of them are straight and they're sharp in terms of marketing - VERY sharp - with an obvious bent on making a huge profit, this is business after all, just watch em - this is clever stuff, I don' think ppl realise what has happened - they're ompeteing with the Sydney mardi Gras, for goodness sakes, they'll try to devour grass-root stuff by the gay community in Cape Town to make bucks for themselves, they're nothing but empty promises - BE WARNED guys, they're only using the gay community to tap into the gay market and to get a degree of credibility - they're using you, guys

Sorry but this is true. You'll probably enjoy your party but try to think about thje bigger picture. It makes me sick to think about this.

MCQP is just another brand. Open your eyes.

Reply to Russell
Posted by: lilly | 2005/12/13

It stands for Mother City Queer Project.

It is not exactly hold / organised by straight people. Just because last year was a flop, does not mean at all that this year can't be the best ever!!!

Reply to lilly
Posted by: Zona | 2005/12/13

Can't understand it. You guys are always complaining how narrow minded the straight people are and now that the straight poeple organize something for you, you also complain. Is there something that a straight person can do right in your'e eyes

Reply to Zona
Posted by: Deeve | 2005/12/13

Hey - I know didly ....... about this, but it's got to be "Mother City Queer Party".........? Held annually in Cape Town. Am I right...? Just a guess.....

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: Zoey | 2005/12/13

Nor have I heard of MCQP, please tell us more!

Reply to Zoey
Posted by: Ang | 2005/12/13

what does MCQP stand for? never heard of it.

Reply to Ang
Posted by: lilly | 2005/12/13

All I know is, there's new ownership, (not straight - at all) and it will be just FAB !

The theme might sound "boring" - wait until you see all the plans that exist - it will be at Retanga Junction, and the amout of energy that is going in this year - will surely make up for last year - I strongly advise, at least give the new owners one try, before making up your minds.

Hope to see you all there!!!!!

Reply to lilly
Posted by: Pam | 2005/12/12

The jury's out, seriously undecided about going.

Reply to Pam
Posted by: Brad | 2005/12/12

I detest, no I DETEST - the idea of straights trying to make money from us and I think MCQP has gone straight, its lost that queer edge. It used to be a queer kinda event but no more. A huge pity and a loss for all. What does everyone else think? I'm giving it a miss this year.

Reply to Brad