Question
Posted by: NavyGuy | 2007/12/14

What vegetables should i eat

Hi my names chris, im currently a AirC/ATF Combat Rescue Swimmer and i was wondering what vegetables i should really focus on for maximum benefits (I.E, bones, circulation, stamina? cardivascular?) i eat lots of vegetables but mostly what i find in food markets like celery, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplant and so on... i workout daily like clockwork ill even throw in pushups and situps on break at work, so my workout is about 250pushups, 300 situps a 7mile run and then heavy cool down, calisthenics are thru-out the entire day and not in one full sitting, however during the end of the week i increase my output... so i was wondering if there is anything regarding vegetables i should be focusing on... i hope i made sense haha, but any information would be helpful :) thanks (wrote this while eating some lettuce lol)

Hi Chris

I think this is one for the dietdoc to answer - I'll make no claims about being an expert on diet. I will say that for endurance and stamina and cardiovascular benefits, its not so much about the vegetables as it is the total energy that you take in from your food. And that means you have to eat enough. Obviously, you must eat the RIGHT foods, but it sounds like you are doing that already. For the vegetables, a lack of anything is noticeable, but it's not as though you benefit by having more, if that makes sense? In other words, it's having too little, not too much that is the risk, and I don't think you are in danger of that. Where your risk lies is not taking in enough, because you're obviously very active and so that means your energy requirements per day will be very high.

So what I would do is check that your diet is providing enough overall energy, and then worry about the nutrients later, because unless you don't eat a specific food group (like red meat, for example), there's very little chance of being deficient in anything.

But it's a diet Doc question, for sure!
Good luck!
Ross