Posted by: SR | 2010/09/17

What type of headache is this?

Hi there. I am a 26 year old woman. In April 2008, i was hospitalized and it was found that my cortisol levels were much lower than normal. Doctors did an ATCH stimulation test 3 days later which came back normal and the issue was " closed" , albeit with some confusion on the part of the doctor. Shortly after being discharged, i experienced the worst headache of my life. Since then I have experienced this type of headache at least once a month (its not related to my period). The headache is usually only on the right side of my head and intensely throbbing, especially when i stand and try to walk around. Its feels like a pulsating kind of pain. There is also intense pain in the right side of the back of my neck and behind my right eye. The pain gets so bad around my eye, such that i can barely move my eye. The pain gets worse when i use contact lenses. The only thing that fixes it is a good nights sleep. The headache pain isnt " dull"  - its more like a burning, throbbing pain, that often leads me to hold onto objects close by so that I can walk/move around. I dont have the migraine type symptoms of vomiting and aura though. I am nor sure what this is. It seems to be a combo of migraine, tension and cluster headaches. Sometimes there is nausea but most of the time i can manage to eat something.
Should i see my GP?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I suggest that you consult your doctor, as it is possible that it is pain that is radiating from your cervical spinal to your head. You mention pain at the back of your neck, as well as the cervical area. Physiotherapy in this area, could prevent your headaches and alleviate your symptoms.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Bozo | 2010/09/17

It sounds like a cluster headache. Please do a google on Cluster Headaches.

Reply to Bozo

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.