Question
Posted by: Minx | 2006/11/14

WHAT TYPE OF EXCERCISE

Hi, Dietdoc referred me to you. I have reached my goal weight (kg) but not my goal in cm's. I would like to fit into a size 34 (36 at this stage). I do aerobics at the gym, basically all classes available (body conditioning, power pump, step, etc). Is there anything else I can do to loose these cm's, I am satisfied with the weight I have but if it comes to losing more weight than it's ok, I guess.

Hi Minx.

I think that there are a couple of things that one needs to consider in a training programme when you are at the ideal weight and already exercising. For someone who has a lot of weight to lose, it's pretty basic - any exercise helps and the volume or amount is the key. For people like yourself, it's the intensity and the type that are vital. With regards to intensity, it's hard to make suggestions, not knowing what your current programme looks like, but I have seen many people fail in their training because they either train too hard and burnout or because they don't go hard enough. If you increased the training intensity slightly, you should see progress. The other big change will probably come from adding weight training and that's been recommended to you by Sandy. I would take most of that advice - go with high reps (15 or so) and use a relatively light weight. Just be careful about training to fatigue though. i don't think that you should aim to be absolutely exhausted by the time you do the last repetition. That will cause injury in someone who is not trained and used to the exercise.

As for the measurement of body fat, the bigger issue here is measurement - I don't believe that there is a very good way to measure this value accurately AND cheaply. The cheap methods tend to be quite inaccurate and not repeatable. You could measure yourself on 4 days and get 4 very different values, unless an exceptionall qualified tester was doing the measurement. So my opinion is to leave body fat alone as a measurement, and rather focus on getting fitter and stronger and feeling better. If that happens, you will lose fat at the same time, without the hassle of measurement.

1
Posted by: Sandy | 2006/11/14

Now that you've reached your Ideal weight we have a few factors to consider:
What is your Body Fat %?
If you are a Female: Athlete 14 - 20%
Fitness 21 - 24%
Acceptable 25 - 30%

If You are a male: Athlete 6 - 13 %
Fitness 14 - 17 %
Acceptable 18 - 25 %

There are a few ways of measuring your body fat% - under water weighing, a tanita scale or callipers.

If you're Body fat is in a good category, we may want to tone-up. Doing Endurance type of traing will allow for "toning" and not bulk.

For Endurance training, your intensity will be low - allowing you between 12 and 20 repititions.
(An important note that i have to make is that Your final rep has to be the last 1 you can do - if you can perform more reps - u need to adjust the wight)

You will perform 2-3 sets of 12 - 20 reps per muscle group, 2-3 times a week. I also suggest including cardio sessions 2-3 times a week.

i hope this has helped you, but I suggest you invest in a Personal Trainer - someone is qualified and knows what they are doing. someone who is there to push you that extra mile. someone who is there to make sure you get your goal - safely and effectively, whilst having Fun!!!!

Reply to Sandy