Question
Posted by: SUN | 2007/06/20

WHAT TYPE OF BALL BEST?

Hi, Flynn my Stafford is ball mad - he loves anything that is round including lemons(he smells lovely once he has chewed on a lemon). Nothing lasts though - the only ball that has lasted for a few months is a hockey ball. Tennis balls - well - 5 minutes! But I have read another post re. tennis balls that could wear their teeth down so no more of those(actually we dont buy him tennis balls, the kids next door keeps on throwing their balls into our yard and Flynn helps himself to them). I have bought those round wheels - they look like miniture tyres but he is not that interested in them. He has a kong(?) but not that keen either -it has to be round and long lasting and safe!

Any suggestions please!

There are numerous balls available from Vet Shops. If he already destroys most balls there may not be one robust enough for him. Can you train him to play with the ball rather than chew it and maybe teach him to chew on raw hide toys?

5
Posted by: kitkat | 2007/06/26

you can also try Hol-ee Mol-ee Extremes - they are tough rubber but don't look like they would survive an extreme chewer. My GSD can destroy pretty much anything within 5 minutes - as his teeth go through the holes of a hol-ee mol-ee, he can pull, tug, chew etc and this has lasted a good 2 years so far.

Also, try the Black Kongs - not quite balls, but they survive extreme chewers. I put peanut butter around the rim of the kongs and my dogs go mad with it.

Reply to kitkat
Posted by: SUN | 2007/06/21

Thanks Cybervet - unfortunately raw hide chews can only be given to the two staffies when we are there to watch them as the one will always try and steal the others which ends up in a brawl!

Felicity - I am very interested in the boomer ball - please keep me posted on this!

Reply to SUN
Posted by: felicity | 2007/06/20

I'm in the same boat. I timed my staffie with a rope toy and it lasted 4 minutes. the rogz ball lasted 2 days.I phoned a manufacturer of toys and they rexommend a "boomer ball" which they vow is staffie proof and on the internet they show lion cubs playing with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ordering her one. They advise to order 1 size bigger than her mouth so she can't annihialate it. The people I spoke to are from Koi country in the Eactern Cape

Reply to felicity
Posted by: SUN | 2007/06/20

Thanks squirt - will be buying a rogz ball for him and see what he does to that! He is so clever, he lies in his basket with his ball, pushes it over the rim of the basket so it can run down the veranda and he then jumps out of the basket and fetches it and repeat the process- he entertains himself.

Reply to SUN
Posted by: Squirt | 2007/06/20

My Staffie also loves balls, I have had the most luck with rogz balls (but make sure you get the hard one as the soft one doesn't last) or hard solid rubber balls. They do get chewed and sometimes lose a bit of their shape, but seem to last longer than most.

Reply to Squirt