Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2005/11/28

What to think?

I am concerned about my boyfriends 21 yr old daughter.
About 4 to 5 months ago it started out with migraines (first ever for her) then the doctors suspected it was meningitis. More tests revealed Barium syndrome (spelling!). She went for two lumbar punches and suffered mild paralysis. She is being treated at the moment by a specialist who just gives her a shot in her neck each time she complains of headaches (at R1500 per session/shot). It only lasts a week or two before she gets another headache. She may not do any form of excercise and also gets treatment from a reflexologist every two weeks or so.

We met her for lunch yesterday and she claims to be on new medication which is also used by epileptics. She was agressive and annoyed and this behaviour is so contrary to her normal 'soft' nature.

I am sorry, but I am annoyed by all of this. It appears that her symptoms are being treated but not the cause. Surely there should be another alternative available in stead of having to have injections by this neurologist each time!!! Surely all these shots might cause a chemical imbalance for this poor girls head??
The specialist also sent her for an ECG and claims that her motorial skills (left lobe) are affected. This is crazy - besides it costing her dad a fortune in medical bills (she has gone for over 20 of these R1500 shots a session)!!

I mean she is not an experimental lab rat.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Jacqui,

I quite agree that the ongoing treatment the young lady is receiving is not getting to the root of the problem.

To get to the root of the problem, she needs what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.