Question
Posted by: SBN | 2007/08/07

What to feed loach

I have a newly set up tenk and bought a loach upon recommendation of the pet shop. They dont seem to know alot about fish though... What do I feed a loach? He seems hungry because when I feed my fish he swims up to the flakes that drop to the bottom. But the current in the tenk takes the flakes away before he can get to them.
Also I've posted yesterday about my fish being ill. Might be fin rot. I ordered the meds from my vet yesterday and ought to get them today. The loach seems fine though. Will he also get ill?

Please look at: http://www.petcaretips.net/clown-loach-fish.html This site should provide you with the info you need on Loaches.

3
Posted by: JK | 2007/08/07

Sounds about right. Loaches are bottom feeders and require sinking pellets of some sort. The loach shouldn't be affected by the fin rot but as you are going to be treating the whole tank all your little friends will be taken care of. Just remember, the treatment is going to kill all the good bacteria in the tank so you might have to add something like safestart (which contains good bacteria). Since you have a new tank this safestart will be excellent for the tank

There are excellent booklets on the site:wwwdot sera dot com. There is a pamphlet you can download to help you diagnose fish diseases. There is also an excellent pamphlet on taking care of goldfish as well as other fish like your loach. Happy fish keeping!

Reply to JK
Posted by: Pi | 2007/08/07

Oh and do search the internet on tank maintenance etc. I bought a book call the Perfect Aquarium as well. Helped a lot. You'll find a lot of info you require for a first time set up.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Pi | 2007/08/07

HI SBN, you get frozen bloodworm for the loach. You can also get bottom feeding pellets from the petshop for loach. It looks like a tablet which drops straight to the bottom. The petshop should be advising you on meds for the fin rot.

Where do you live?

Reply to Pi