Posted by: Rashieda | 2008/07/24

what to eat?

I' m 28 yrs, have a 10month old baby, still breast feeding once a day. How do i diet without compromising my breastmilk supply?
I want to loose my flabby tummy and thighs?

Dear Rashieda
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It is wonderful that you are breastfeeding your baby - this is the single greatest gift you can give your baby which will ensure his/her good health for the rest of her/his life. I would not recommend that you go on drastic diets until you have completed breastfeeding. It may be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a low-fat diet that will assist you to lose those kgs, without constantly being hungry and that also ensures that you and baby obtain all the nutrients you require. Otherwise you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add another 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt per day to the permitted foods to provide the calcium you both need. If you are a member of a gym then ask the instructor to give you a set of exercises that target the tummy (e.g. sit-ups, etc) and do additional work on this problem area. You can also ask Fitness Doc on this Website for home exercises that target the tummy, but don't overdo the exercise either.
Enjoy your baby!