Question
Posted by: Fit??? | 2005/12/06

What to do..CRISIS!

I started going to the gym for the 1st time in my life 2months back...Spinning classes etc.. a month after signing th e12 month contact found out I'm preggies....Haven't been to gym for a month but I want to carry on exercising on the treadmill and other light stuff...can I carry on....I miss Spinning can I also still do that in moderation????????????

No need to worry, you just need to reassess your goals from the training. But there is no reason why you cannot continue to exercise, just with the understanding that you can't perhaps set the goal of constantly improving your fitness anymore. Pregnancy is certainly not a time to get fit. Maintain fitness, yes, but not to improve.

The first important thing to keep in mind is that you must clear everything you do with your doctor and make super sure that you are not being reckless. There are certain stages in pregnancy that are more risky than others - the first trimester is particularly risky because if you exercise too hard and cause body temperature to rise excessively, then you can harm the baby, so there's a fine balance between overdoing it and doing it just right. Later on, as you get heavier, certain other exercises become risky too, mostly because of the change in your joints and centre of weight. But if you are in consultation the whole way through, you will be fine.

I agree that you should be able to keep up the spinning, though it must really be very easy at this stage. As I said, right now, the biggest risk is over doing it in the gym, so spend the next 6 weeks just staying active but not pushing. Make sure you keep cool, eat well (very important) and just be generally sensible and circumspect.

Then, as you increase in weight, start to consider other forms of exercise - swimming is great, so are classes like Pilates, or yoga, for flexibility and core stability. You can probably keep gentle cycling the whole way through, and very gentle walking, but also listen to your body, it will tell you what you should do. If you feel excessively tired or hungry for example, it's likely you are either over worked or lacking some nutrient (though pregnancy can play havoc with cravings, as you may have noticed, they all have a physiological reason behind them).

But don't panic, just take the next few months as a chance to build up consistency in your exercise, even if you don't feel like it's groundbreaking stuff you are doing. It's this consistency, not the level of fitness and training, that will help you when you start training again after the birth.