Posted by: MK | 2008/09/01

What to do next?

My daughter who is almost 12 has been ill for a number of days now. She is complaining if a very sore throat and she has had a fever. She was diagnosed with bacterial pharyngitis on Friday. She was given Augmentin 375 tablets to take 3 times a day as well as Myprodol for pain and for the fever.

My problem is that she does not seem to be getting any better. The anti biotics are almost finished. I have noticed that her breath smells pretty bad. She sleeps a lot, and is not eating well at all. In fact, she is living on mashed up soft fruit and yogi sip at the moment and has been doing so since Friday. It is quite a mission getting her to eat even this.

At what point should I be taking her back to the doctor or am I just in too much of a hurry for her to be getting better?

Dear MK

Thank you for visiting

You should re-consult your GP, in order to have a throat swab (this should have been done at her first visit) done and a possible chest x-ray, to determine the cause for her symptoms. It is possible that she has a viral infection, which will take at least 10 days to subside.

Kind regards