Question
Posted by: MM | 2007/04/03

What to do next...

Six months ago I weight 105kg (I am 1.76m) and decided to change my whole lifestyle. I started to gym every morning and restricted my diet to approximately 3 500kj per day.
Currently I weigh 76kg and my goal is 70kg.
The problem is that I have big hips and tick legs and with the last 6 kilo's I also want to get those parts of my body more in shape. When I gym I usually use the step machine for 20min as this burns me the most kJ and then I do all the exercises on the circuit 3 sets of 10 each. This I do every week from Mon-Fri. If I can fit in a gym session on a Sat I usually run for 20min on the treadmill and then swim 10 lengths.
Can you suggest any thing else?

Hi MM

The first thing to look at is your diet - 3500 kJ per day is a severe restriction and so I would suggest that you see a deitician about that. It may seem contrary to what you would think, but taking in fewer calories is actually bad for weight loss, because your body responds to the low energy by conserving more energy and the result is that you don't lose weight. So it's really important that you see to this. Apart from the other health issues that are associated with eating too few calories, it's important to address diet right away.

I think that as far as your exercise goes, you might want to look at increasing the cardio of your training. 20 minutes is good, of course, but if you could increase this, even at the expense of some of the weight training, it may produce some changes. Maybe for a few weeks (about one and a half to two months) you can increase the cardio to 40 minutes (a mix of stepping and running and cycling, and perhaps swimming for variety), and decrease the weight training to one or two sets rather than 10. This may produce a difference.

Other than that, just keep it up - your ideal weight is not necessarily exactly 70 kg, - it is anything between 70 and about 77 kg, and so that means you are already in the ideal range. You could lose more, of course, but it will prove a little more difficult, and so will require time. But stick with it and I'm sure the results will come. But you have to see to that diet, it's really important.

Ross