Posted by: foxsuperstar | 2007/03/13

What to do???

My boyfriend of 14 months moved back to london, and i am feeling absolutley defastated. We've spoken about me moving over there, but the problem is i've already had my 2 year workig visa in the UK, and im not sure if i can get another.We love eachother very much, and im feeling so confused at the moment, feeling very lost too.We met when i was still living in london, i had to move back to sa due to my visa expiring, i realy dont enjoy living here either, and reali wish i could move bak to london. What to do???

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Foxsuperstar, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

I suggest that your boyfriend address this in the UK, as opposed to your trying to address from South Africa. As Nikki indicated, your boyfriend needs to explore getting you to join him on the grounds of your relationship. He may need to consult a gay-friendly immigration lawyer. Any large gay organisation in London should also be able to offer him advice.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: foxsuperstar | 2007/03/19

cheers Posh, will try that.

Reply to foxsuperstar
Posted by: Posh | 2007/03/19

Hi Foxsuperstar

I don't usually post here but I love this forum in a big way even tho I am not gay etc. I'm posting due to relevance.

My bf is a UK citizen and I'm a SA'can, we decided to try life here n see how it goes failing which we would go to the UK, but at the same time we didn't want to just get married just so he could stay in SA so we consulted an immigration's lawyer and he applied for what they call a Notorial Bond, where u and ur partner states under an affidavit that you are cohabiting and have been in commited relationship for an x amount of time etc. Last Friday we got a phone call that it was approved and therefore granting him a 1 year temporary residence permit of which he can now apply for a permanent residence so we were ecstatic. You can equally do this in the UK, so long as u can prove that u r in a committed relationship and have ways to support yourself without any access to public funds etc, the only downside is that you might not be able to work as some of these permits prevents u from working unless u try for a work permit which would require you to have some sort of a qualification. All I'm saying is that there are ways, u just need to get the proper info, Like the expert said, get a good-gay-friendly immigration lawayer, we did ours through an immigration lawyer and we are a mixed race couple and it was approved, so you can do it too.

Good luck and all the best to you and your man.

Reply to Posh
Posted by: foxsuperstar | 2007/03/14

Thanx guys, and Nikki, i think its reali cool of u to give so many people advice, take my hat off to u, cool to know theres sumone out there. x

Reply to foxsuperstar
Posted by: Paul | 2007/03/13

Hey there

don't give up - im sure you will get there - if you really want to live there - i would love to get out of here too

Go and see the consulate and best of luck

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Nikki | 2007/03/13


I dont have personal experience but I do have friends in a similar situation.

A is SA and worked for 2 years on permit. Met B who is UK citizen.

A proved that he lived with B for six months and longer and was able to get an extended permit.

Getting married is your other alternative.

Good Luck

Reply to Nikki

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.