Question
Posted by: CJ | 2004/10/12

What to do??

I don't know what to do, the company i'm currently working for 7 month ago they took a big risk in employing me as i knew absolutely nothing about the industry, they took the time and trained me and if it wasn't for them i wouldn't know what i know today, now unfortunatly the company is taking major financial strain and they can't always pay me on time but i love my job.

Now i've been offered another job, a really good job that could bring in a stable income, the percs are great it's a perfect opportunity to go places in life.

Now my problem is that the company i'm currently employed with, i'm the only sales rep, and if i leave i'm affraid the company will go under, now i know i can be replaced but i personally don't know of anyone that would work like i work at the moment, i work my ass off and i'm not guarenteed to get paid on time and the money isn't that great.

I don't want to leave, i feel obligated to stay, but this other job offer is good and i don't know what to do????

It says excllent things about your personality and conscience that you hesitate to leave, and that you recognize a debt of gratitude towads people who have treated you as well as they could. But Buffs raises a crucial point --- they sound as if they're likely to go under anyhow, and when they do, you won't have this other job to move across to. And though maybe you're right that leaving them may be the final straw that caues the company's failure, how sure can you be that staying with them can save the company ? They have been good to you, but from the sound of it, are no longer in a position to look after you.
Maybe, if you feel it'd be a bit bald and unkind to just walk off, you should have an urgent meeting with the management and tell them what you've said in this message, that you'll always be grateful to them for their help in earlier days, and would like to be able to afford to stay with them, but this is an offer far too good for you to be able to afford to turn it down, and you are concerned that if you remain, it may not be long before you are out of a job, with no alternative. Maybe the new employer would be prepared to give you a couple of weeks in which the first company could get a new rep ?

6
Posted by: A | 2004/10/13

Although these people have been very good to you - at the end of the day you need to look after yourself and see what lies ahead in the future - I also left my very good employment because they were in financial difficulties because I need to pay my bond and school fees - if they go under, I go under.

A

Reply to A
Posted by: Twanette | 2004/10/12

Will the Company look after you if they go under?

Reply to Twanette
Posted by: Shelly | 2004/10/12

Hey Shaun,

Should have been a councellor dont you think? Unfortunately it's easier to help others than myself...

Hope you got your mail. Your work addy was not working and kept getting returned.

Chat soon
Shelly

Reply to Shelly
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/12

Hi CJ,

I would ask, what would happen to you if your present company went under tomorrow?
It is good to be loyal, but it is also good to be looking after yourself & taking care of your future.
At the end of the day only you can decide, so maybe to aid your decision to can make a list of all the pro's & con's of each job.

Sorry I can't be of much more help,
Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: buffs | 2004/10/12

i ahte to say this but .. Be selfish. your needs come first, sure your happy but your going to regret not taking this opportunity for the rest of your life. think of it this way.. what if they end up retrenching you 3 months down the line? the otehr job will be gone and you'll be stuck.

go for it!

Reply to buffs
Posted by: Shelly | 2004/10/12

CJ,

It's always a tough decision to make, and as the saying goes the grass isnt always greener on the other side. But sometimes it is. I was happy in my previous job, when out of the blue an employment agency I applied to the previous year called me with a job oppotunity and I went for the interview, got the job and I've never looked back.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. There might have been a reason why you were offered another job. It's also called head hunting.

Carefully consider the pro's and con's of each job, and to maybe make your decision a little easier, if the company you currently work for went under, do you think they would post a little note here for help on whether or not to let you go?

It's a harsh thought, but all's fair in work and business, and it's a company not a personality afterall, and you do need to look after yourself and do what is good for you and what can open doors for you.

Take care, and keep us informed of your decision and progress.

Reply to Shelly