Question
Posted by: marathon | 2007/03/11

what time in the morning...

Good day!

I would like to know if you could please help me with this scenario:
If a 75kg marathon athlete trains for 2 days (day 1 = 1 hour at 50% VO2max and day 2 = 3 hours at 70% VO2max), what time should he train in the morning?would he have to eat breakfast, or would he have to have stocked up on carbs the night before?

there's no right or wrong answer. the answer is that he should train whenever he can, according to his schedule.

The key is the food intake and so if I said you had to eat at least one hour before you trained, then suddenly training at 5am means eating at 4am and that's not ideal! But you can't stock up on carbs the night before unless you carbo load, but that is not somehing you would do for a training session. So instead, my advice is that you have a very small bite to eat about 15 minutes before, but then you must eat or drink DURING the run. You can't do 3 hours without eating or drinking something, and that's where drinks like Powerade (500 ml per hour would give you enough energy) come in handy.

One final comment, I'm not sure how you know you are going at 70% VO2max, other than to actually measure it, so don't get too stuck on the numbers - you can't measure that accurately enough for it to make a difference to your training.