Question
Posted by: maryna | 2004/11/17

what the cause of stillbirth???

hi?
Can anyone tell me what the cause of stillbirth is,is it because your are carrying small ,not getter bigger or what?did anyone goes through it,please i really need advice on this??

Love to hear from anyone who can give me advice,have a lovely day! :-)
maryna

There are many causes as the other respondents have mentioned. You seem to be concerned about the growth of the baby. If the growth is poor, this can cause the baby to die. However, how big or small you look does not tell what the size of the baby is. This is best assessed on ultrasound.

5
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/18

We are rhesus imcompatible and that was not the cause of my stillbirth. It is unlikely that rh incompatibility can cause a stillbirth. However, it can cause the baby to be aneamic, and as Jacqueline says, it is unlikely to be in the first pregnancy. Often Rh incompatibile babies have jaundice.

In VERY rare cases the baby can develop such bad aneamia that he/she can have cardic failure, which can cause the baby to die.

The way to prevent this is by having anti-d injections during the pregnancy and after birth/miscarriage/stillbirth. This should prevent your body from 'recognising' the baby's blood cells as being different from yours and therefore your body will not 'attack' its positive blood cells.

Hope this makes sense. But please don't think that RH incompatibility is a major cause of stillbirth as it is not.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Jacqueline | 2004/11/17

Sometimes it is the result of the mother and baby having incompatible blood because the mother is Rhesus Negative and the baby is Rhesus Positive. It won't happen with the first pregnancy, but it may happen with subsequent pregnancies.

Reply to Jacqueline
Posted by: maryna | 2004/11/17

thank you for you advice,i really appreciate you replying,and iam sorry for your lost?this is my first pregnancy and i get worried very easy and stressed up,iam carrying very small,am inmy 6month and looks like 3months,i really am trying too eat well and do everything i can to caary my baby to her due date,and hope that she will be healthy and everything will be okay,but ii worry alot!!

once agian thank you?nice wishes for the future for you and your family!
maryna

Reply to maryna
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/17

In 50% for stillbirths a reason cannot be detected.

I lost my baby at 36 weeks and 4 days and we think it was due to an infection, like a tummy bug. But we still don't know.

A friend of mine lost her baby at 36 weeks due to strep b which is also an infection.

Stillbirths can also be caused by a knot in the umbilical cord which stops the blood flow to the baby.

There are many causes and the first sign of trouble is change in movement for your baby. Lack of movement altogether is a very bad sign.

1 in 100 pregnancies end in stillbirth so the odds are low.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: DESPARATE | 2004/11/17

i could not find that statue on the ripleys site, can u paste thelink here for me please.

Reply to DESPARATE