Question
Posted by: tamryn | 2007/03/15

what should be next step?

dear dr
i went for lap last year, dr found stage 2 endo, tubes were fine, no other problems, my cycle is regular. Husband sperm normal.I had 2 IUI with ovarian stimulation but both failed.TTC for 1year now (i am 27)I am so desperate for a baby. What do you suggest should be our next step?

Dear Tamryn

In many cases of endometriosis, despite the fact that some form of corrective surgery has been undertaken, the problem may still persist within the deep tissues of the pelvis. These so-called occult lesions may continue producing toxins, which are harmful to fertilisation and conception.

Hence in cases of failed IUI's the next step would be to proceed to IVF to ensure that fertilisation occurs under a controlled laboratory environment. Alternately you can opt for aggressive endometriosis suppressive therapy, which unfortunately is extremely expensive and would still require further treatment thereafter.