Question
Posted by: CESS | 2003/02/21

What rice is best to keep blood sugar levels right?

I use to eat brown rice but was told that it has a high GI and should rather eat Basmati Rice because it has a lower GI. Is this true? If so, what makes it a low GI food if the fiber and energy has more or less the same value?

Dear Cess
The GI of a food is determined by so many factors - carbohydrate content, dietary fibre content and type of fibre, processing, cooking and even consumption together with other foods - that Basmati rice could have a lower GI than brown rice (I don't have a GI value for Basmati rice) because of the way it is processed and because it may contains a different type of starch, e.g. a more waxy starch, than brown rice. If you like the Basmati and it has a good effect on your blood glucose levels, then you can certainly use it instead of brown rice.