Question
Posted by: evergreem | 2006/03/30

what os adrenal sarcoma?

I was admitted into hospital on Monday under a Physician as my BP went up to 240/160. They did a 24 hour urine test for my adrenal glands and I will only know the outcome in two weeks time. Please can you put my mind at rest as I am feeling extremely anxious to wait a whole two weeks with no explanation. thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Evergreem,

What you have is malignant hypertension. Why you should have to wait for two weeks for a 24 hour urine test result is beyond me.

I think you may have mis-heard the suspected diagnosis. A sarcoma is a malignant tumour of soft tissues such as fibrous tissue or muscle. If a malignancy were present in your adrenal gland, it would be called a carcinoma. Adrenal carcinomas do not usually present as a hypertensive emergency : rather, they are found as a large mass, or lump, on one side of the abdomen. So, I’m not at all clear what your doctors are looking for. The term adrenal sarcoma is one which can only be used once a piece of adrenal gland has been removed, examined under a microscope, and has been found to contain malignant cells in the tiny portions of fibrous tissue within the gland. This has clearly not been done for you, so the diagnosis cannot be made at present.

Tumours of the adrenal gland also show other associated clinical signs, often things like electrolyte abnormalities, and body changes related to sex hormones.eg females may develop male-pattern hair distribution.

Evergreem, I think you must contact your doctor, and ask for an explanation of what he is actually looking for, and what is he measuring in the urine sample that takes so long to do. If you can get back to me with that information, I shall try to explain to you what is going on. But at present, I can only guess, and that is of no help to you at all.

Regards,

HeartDoc