Posted by: TIRED OF DIFFICULTY | 2009/03/14

WHAT NOW, must i give up

Hi, I am not usualyl someone that hides behing my polio leg as i still try to lead a full life. BUT, I have so many times through my life had falls that has seen to it that I am on crutches for from 6 months -up to sometimes 2 years at a time. most tiems i get onto my feet in the old end again, but this time - am not sure, I had a fall 8 months ago in wich i fell right on top of my knee, wich has osteo arthritus and is realyl not in a good state for the past 15 years now. I have very weak muscles and even before the fall I had problems with ligiments that were bad. but still i could at least walk. difficult, but i did walk. But this time not healing at all.

After the fall i waite two days to go to the dr. but when swelling and pain did not go away I went to my GP, who thought at that stage that there was fluid on my knee, when tried to extract it , it turned out to be blood and not just watery fluid...He wanted me t ogo to a orthopedic surgeon, but as we do not have medical aid I decided to wait it out as it might get better by itself, but now after 8 months it has still not heald, i still have a lot of pain in my knee and am not able to walk yet, my Gp refered m,e to a orthopedic surgeon again, I went to see him as private patient to get opinion from him, after a exacmination he said that it seems i have no ligiments abotu working, but that he needs a MRI scan as to make a dianosis so he can see what might be possible to do for me. I went to make the appointment for scan but cou d not go through with it as the cost is to high . My Gp says I should see a knee specialist and not a normal orthopedic surgeon as I have a very complicated knee and leg problem because of very bad ligiments and very weak muscles in the polio leg. He says Tygerberg in the Cape is where he woul d like me to go for help, as i ca neasily end up being worse off after a op not done by a knee specialist, gGP also told me that in his opinion It might not be a good idea to operate on this knee at all, because of the wek muscle function.NOW> > >  what i would like to know from you is if there is anywhere out there where i could get provincial medical help for the problem i have currently, I feel as if I am at my wits end with this knee and leg problem, I am 55 years old, my husband is 64 and we have not got the means to pay for specialised treatment or even the MRI scan i so desperately am in need of. if for soem reason it is found that nothing can be done for me any longer...then I will as i have done all my life...accept it, but feel i do need to at least try and get help, as i am not someone that can sit around and do nothing about something i might be able to change to better my life. I will be very thankful if you can give me some info or input about current my problem. SORRY for the very long letter here, but i wanted to give some background to you.
Thanks .

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHandicap Expert

I agree with your GP and will ask him to refer you to Tygerberg Hospital. You have a complicated problem and therefore, you do need specialised surgical help.

Good luck.

Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: TIRED OF DIFFICULTY | 2009/03/15

THIS IS NOT A REPLY TO ABOVE COMMENT, IT IS ONLY I ,THE PERSON THAT WROTE THE COMMENT ABOVE, JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT IT DOES NOT SOUND AS IF I AM BLAMING MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS , I BLAME NO DR' S OR INSTITUTIONS AT ALL!<br><br>. i just want to put it straight, All Drs i refered to were as helpful as they could be, and were very truthfull and open toward me when they consulted with me.....the problem i have is MY problem! AND THEYDID TRY TO HELP ME!..i have a lot of respect for medical practioners and value the opinions they give me! thanks to all of you Drs out there! you are all great and very caring! And it is definatly not Dr' s or institutions faults if i have no medica aid fund!


Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.