Question
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/28

What now

I'm trying so hard at work - writing stuff down in a book so that I don't forget to do things. I also asked my boss to rather e-mail any requests she has to me instead of just telling it over the phone since I then forget something (she just talks too fast to write everything down.) This morning I got shat upon just because I forgot to call her after rebooting our big servers. Everything went fine - no problems, and I WOULD have called her if I did have any. Then I get told that I will only get overtime off for the current project. In future I will not get time off, but I will be allowed to leave early for doctor's appointments etc. without there being any record kept of overtime and time off. My problem is that even though everyone has the same benefit of having time off whenever they need it, I work a lot more overtime than the rest of them - its just the nature of my job.

I'm getting frustrated all over again. With myself and my job. Myself for my forgetfulness and inability to concentrate (even at home I have a LOT of difficulty) I still find it difficult to finish a book - even after the 3 weeks of therapy. Seeing my psychiatrist again today. All teary again. Frustrated with the job because my boss still expects me to remember to do things she told me to do 4 months ago. I'm still trying to be positive - reading through all the notes I made during group sessions again. It just still feels like I’m swimming uphill with a waterfall downstream.

Then again my computer crashed again on Tuesday. Still waiting for it to be returned. Working half crippled on a old machine - without e-mail - which means that I can't receive the mail the boss is supposed to send to me so that I don’t forget to do some task.

Shoosh ! Chill, cool, and breathe calmly, Liza. Yes, surely, highly annoying. but don't let it all rattle you so much. There can be many reasons for increased forgetfulness, in physical and mental disorders, but the sort of stress you describe within your work could do it, all on it's own. A good physical check up and the opinion of your psychiatrist, should help to locate the source of the problem and point to the best way to deal with it.
And Shaun's right --- don't you need to plan a break, even a relatively short one, to recover from all these rattles ?
Q seems to be an admirably organized and knowledgeable person ( would that we were all lucky enough to work in Q's office !) and nicely summarizes a good work-related approach.
That point about hearing an assignment and repeating it back to her is always excellent --- it shows you're being careful, it helps you to remember, and if she's been unclear with the instructions, it helps you both to spot the miscommunication as soon as possible.
And I'm so delighted that Q confirmed something that was bothering me --- I thought it was illegal and improper for her to insist that the amounts of overtime worked be not recorded. And if you don't need to take sufficient time of ( though it might help add towards that break !) get paid for it. And do chat to the Dept of Labour to confirm this, and maybe intervene.
if December is such a busy month, it's a very odd time to give your alternate a month or even a week off.
As Shaun says, discuss all this with your psychiatrist, and get his advice. And isn't the HR manager and staff supposed to try to find solutions for you, not fresh problems ?

5
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/28

Hi Liza,

You are having a rough time, but seriously, slow down a bit...
Why not wait till your session & explain your concerns. Ask for advice on how to best deal with each situation. Relate all your concerns. Getting it off your chest might even help make you feel a little better by itself.
Ja, things do get a bit hectic every so often, but maybe these in itself are reminders that you are so needed at you job. I think your boss could lighten up a bit though. Did you mention her behaviour to your HR Manager? Just make sure it remains confidential if you mention it to your HR Manager.

Take care Liza, hang in there. You have to deal with these things, just know that all you need is the right approach that you need to find in handling them. Please be totally open with your shrink.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/28

Then there is the fact that my boss will be completely pissed off with me because December is a very big month in our company, with lots of changes being done on the system (since medical aids change their plans, members change their options etc. and we have multiple medical aids to work with) Plus the girl who usually does this is going on leave in December and its supposed to be my job this year.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2004/10/28

Just went to have a chat with our HR Manager. Since I've been off for the first 3 weeks in Oct (in a psychiatric clinic) and I still don't feel that I give 100% on the job. He asked me to report back to him after this afternoons' session with my psychiatrist. Currently I'm worried that I'll have to be declared temporarily disabled - which means that the insurance only covers 75% of my salary. I just can't think straight right now.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Q | 2004/10/28

It is a fair request from you to your bose to task you via e-mail. The task gets noted automatically and you can sign the off one by one. Next time when she tells you an order tel her to slow down, also a fair request and repeat it back to her so that she nows you understand what she whants by when and if it is automatically, then you shedule it on your calander under tasks and make sure you are not caught again. The I agree with Shawn when last dit you have a nice rest???

Then the basic condisions of imployment act is on your side, if your company gives you time of instead of paying you its fine but what you just said is unlawful she can not do that. Keep track of your time and at the end of the month claim it in pay, or take the time of if the dont pay, other wise report it to the labour department, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW WHAT SHE IS DOING!!!

Reply to Q
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/28

Hi Liza,

Take it easy girl... take a breather.

When was the last time you were on a good holiday???

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun