Question
Posted by: Jonathan | 2004/10/26

What Now

I recently wrote an email to my friends girlfriend telling her that he has been cheating on her for the last few months.I could not bear to watch what he did behind her back as she was giving everything in this relationship.The email adres I used was one that I have created via hotmail,sothat my identity could be safe as I did not want my friend to know it came from me if she does tell him.Well she did,and now he is denying everything and went to hiss laywers to try and find the owner of this email adress because he wants to sue now for defemation of caracter.Everything I wrote to her was the sole truth.I just hope he does not find a way to trace me to this email adress,otherwise our friendship will be gonners.I still want to keep him as a friend.Any suggestions?

One has to be sure, when doing such things, even with the best of motives, that you are sure you really want to do it and can face the likely consequences ( you could have spoken to him and said you'd feel obliged to speak to his gf unless he stopped whatever it was he was doing ). I doubt that he can actually trace an email, or that he could succeed with any legal action --- he's probably just making a big noise to impress her and to try and convince her that the rumours are untrue. And as D@mn says, to succeed in a defamation action, he has to show that the rumour was untrue, and that you knew it was untrue, and that it caused him significant damage and if he convinces her that it's untrue and she doesnt leave him, there was no actionable damage ), and that it wasn;t 8in the public interest.

4
Posted by: Dumb Friend | 2004/10/26

There's no way you can trace a Hotmail account.

He is being silly, going to lawyers, there's obviously something he is lying about and just doing it to show her 'how serious' he is.

Reply to Dumb Friend
Posted by: Jenna | 2004/10/26

You did the right thing. Your email will get the girlfriend wondering whether it really is true. In fact he is probably so scared right now he will stop cheating! In any case, I do hope that he gets caught someday, people like that do not deserve to have loyal partners.
Don't worry, he won't pursue this as he is guilty and he knows it is TRUE!

Reply to Jenna
Posted by: D@mn | 2004/10/26

yes relax, he won't find out its you, and besides, you can only sue for defamation if its NOT true... I am sure he won't waste money on something he knows he can't win...

Reply to D@mn
Posted by: Zee | 2004/10/26

Relax, he wont find out. He is just angry. He is not even going to go to the Lawyer as far as I am concerned. Take it easy, u did a right thing. At least the g/friend can take a closer look and find evidence herself.

Gud Luck

Reply to Zee