Question
Posted by: DD | 2005/11/23

What next!!

Yesterday I walked out of an appraisal, each yr it's the same story,waste of time giving us a self appraisal form to fill, I didn't fill mine, why should I when my supervisor has already marked me down as 4 and 5 on hers if not worse, I never get complaints during the yr, they had no proof of complaints when I asked for them, no verbal or written warnings about my bad work.
I'm always excluded in meetings as then I have to fill in for the PA who is my super, as she is in these meetings and I never get feedback.
She makes mistakes and no one can point them out, her husband called for her one day and swore at me because she wasn't at work and had left home at six.
I wanted to know why were these issues not addressed there and then, why did she wait until the end of the yr, our head office is in London, do I contact them? if I don't get any joy here as the MD is siding with her.
Today I requested a meeting with the MD, corrected her on a few things, when we had completed she said I had to finish the appraisal even if I dont agree to what is said and written..

Sounds like thoroughly lousy management, and a corrupt and useless appraisal system --- doesn't sound as though they understand what it's meant for. ANY evaluation that give a suckthumb number and cant quote precise examples of what you did that was good or bad performance, is useless.

1
Posted by: ASP | 2005/11/23

Ag the 'ol PA's. I hate them.

But bare in mind that PA should'nt be used as a vehicle for them to use to enable them to crap on you, it must be used as tool to monitor your performance.

What performent management should'nt be:
a paperwork process.
event tied to a specific month.
about policy complience and or corporate regulations adherance.

what it should be:
a philosohpy and an approach to meaningfully managing people.
a way of setting clear expectations regarding an employee's ontribution to the organisation.
a means of creating an employment environment where people are acknowledged, recongnised and developed.

During the course of time, you should treat your PA as a "live" document and whenever you have to perform a task that is not specified within your job profile, you go to your immediate manager and ask them to add it on to your PA.

In the event of any mishaps that may happen, you must also use this approach and ask them to make note of any issues you may have, so that later, when everyone so comfortably forget about what you did and did not do, it has been recorded on your PA and you will have a leg to stand on.

Reply to ASP