Question
Posted by: W27 | 2006/11/14

What muscles am I targeting

I saw on a sport channel China's olympic team practicing with a weight plate held behind the upper back and then doing situps on a decline bench but not going all the way down, you keep it a few centimeters of the bench and then back up, keeping the muscles tensed the whole time.

I tried this with a light plate at first 5kg and then progressing to heavier weights 10Kg and must say it fries my Abs in the lower area, sides and on top. Doing combo's side lifts and normal sit ups.

How good is this excersice for building ab muscles and what am I exactly targeting with this?

Hi There

If I understand you correctly, you are doing a situp with a weight held behind the back, on an incline? That would pretty much be the same targeted muscles as a regular situp, but with added resistance, and perhaps more emphasis on the back. I'm not sure it's a whole lot different to the regular situps, but additional weight to increase the strain, which is why you feel it so severely.