Posted by: Helen | 2009/07/16

what might the problem be?

Two qs - first for about 8 years now I get boils on exactly the same spot on my body - behind my right shoulder. Only there. There are all large and painful and last anything up to five weeks. They begin as hard fleshy lumps and stay that way for two weeks first, taking forever to actually ripen. And because I am averse to squeezing, the stuff takes forever to totally come out. Another two weeks actually. The one I have now is the worst ever, I’  m in week 5 now. And it has been at the ‘  open and oozing’  stage for a full 10 days –  very sore when water touches the exposed head. The pain is such that i cannot sleep on my back. I nd to understand why I get boils always within the same 5-7cm radius of skin, is the patch infected with some sort of staph? What can I take then? I would say I get a boil every 4 months –  but thing is it’  s for 8 years now and on the same patch of skin.
Secondly I have had acne for years so I know what pimples are and what I have near my hairline in the centre of my forehead is no pimple –  a very hard mass, the size of ladybird. As I am on anti-acne med (Minerva and tetralysal), were it a true pimple it would have responded the way the rest of my face has. There is no change.
It has been there five months. Rock hard, totally painless, not growing at all, not shrinking at all. It is not cartilage, because it moves with my skin so to speak. My dermatologist is not worried by it at all but it bugs me, why shd it be there at all?

Any clues what it could be? I fear if I try to cut it off it will start to keloid esp. as I am black. Problem is it is forcing me to wear a fringe at all times and I don’  t want to.

Thanks pls advise

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Helen
The boils could be developing in blocked sebaceous glands and the mass on your forehead may also be a sebaceous cyst. It may help to use antibiotics preventatively or to ask your Dermatologist if you can't remove any visible cysts in those areas. If you are prone to keloid - dermatologists can prevent keloids by treating with cortisone injection in the scar.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.