Posted by: Joy | 2007/04/16

What kind of exercise

Dear Doc,

I am 53 years old. I do Pilates twice a week and lift light weights twice a week.. I used to walk a lot but now have bursitis in my hip so its very painful to walk. Would the reclining bycycle be a good aerobic exercise for me and would it help my bursitis or irritate it?
How long should I cycle for and at what intensity?
What else could I try while I try to recover from this bursitis.
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Joy

If you got the position correct on the bike, then it should not cause a problem. If your get the position incorrect, then as with most things, it can be a problem, but easily enough rectified. But you have to see what your symptoms tell you - if there is pain, then stop, look at perhaps making adjustments and continue, but if the pain never really goes away, then there are other activities you can try. one is rowing, another is swimming. Aerobics and taebo may cause some pain, but even there, it's not a given that they will because the movements are not as repetitive. I think you need to 'test the waters' and figure out just where you experience pain and where you don't, and then work out what will work best for you.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.