Posted by: Anon | 2007/04/19

What kind of a person Am I ????

I have been working for a certain company for five years as a bit of everything.
It is a family business and the treatment was not good at all.if ever there was a crisis at their home they needed me to sort it out for example getting them a maid and screening them,when their son was in trouble with the law had to bail him.
For two years i worked more than 45hrs a week and i never had a leave for three years.
what happen was i was working from monday to saterday 8am to 5pm no time for lunchand saterday was 8am to 1pm.
so i asked them not to work on saterday and forfeit my leave days,which i learned now that i was still intltled for them.and that the agreement was illegal.
It was enough for me and i decided to leave the company without a notice.
so i breached my contract and the worse part i still had the petty cash with me(1370.00).since my bosses were out of the country my huby made arrangement with their son who is working for the company to hand it in.
the appoitment was set and he didn't show up when hubby calls him he said not to worry since that petty cash money was peanuts.
my boss came back last week and i'm not sure wheter i should discuss all these with him or just keep quite and continue with my life since i'm now working for another company.
i felt sad when the dep of labour told me that i was unfairly treated,working overtime for two years and not going for a leave for three years.
as a result they are owing me for the overtime and one year leave since according to law i forfeited my two year's leave.
what can i do?should i wait for them to write me a letter or call for an appoitment to discuss all these with them.
i get nightmares about all these,my conscience is troubling me

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

In my experience, family businesses are often verty bad organizations to work for. They sound like a dodgy bunch, including their attitude to petty cash --- if you keep it, they could still make trouble for you. Maybe they have been quiet about it so far, recognizing how much they owe you for their illegal busines practices as regards how hard they worked you and underpaid you, but they can spring this complaint against you any time they please. Discuss this with a good labour lawyer, and the CCMA, and make arangements to repay them the amount involved, as well as exploring your rights to redress for having been unpaid for all that overtime.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: You | 2007/04/19

you absconded - they can use that against you

Reply to You
Posted by: Anon | 2007/04/19

I still have the money in an envelope with me,which i intend depositing into their account over the weekend.
so my main concern is they way i left the company without any word or what so ever.
do i need to set a meeting with my boss to tell him about it.or leave it until i get something in writing regarding the breach of contract for my notice period.
i have no intention of taking them to labour court unless otherwise

Reply to Anon
Posted by: PP | 2007/04/19

Anon Pay them back every cent that you owe them and make them sign for it for if you do decide to take them to the CCMA for any reason they will use this to discredit you. That is why they are in no hurry to retrieve it from you as for them it is a very cheep wayof getting rid.

Reply to PP
Posted by: Maria | 2007/04/19

Do what you know is right, otherwise you will always be looking over your shoulder waiting for the call. What they did to you was very wrong, but you can't fix that by doing something wrong to them. The last thing you need is the police knocking on your door to arrest you for theft.

Reply to Maria

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.