Question
Posted by: flower | 2005/07/18

What is wrong with me?

I wonder if you could help me. I dont know what to do anymore. I am female 27 years of age. Last year this time I had a Hiates Hernia operation as I had lots of problems with my stomach, ulcers and hearburn ect. Since the operation it has been amazing however, my stomach makes strange noises. Its loud and sounds like I am farting. Which I am not. What can I do. It sounds like wind bubbles in my stomach. I can normally hide the noises, but I am now going to be bridesmaid in a wedding and I have a great fear of my stomach going off while standing at the alter. What can I do, is this normal after such an operation. Please help, what can I do to prevent these noises. I'm desperate.

Flower, it sounds like the operation has taken care of the heartburn and ulcers, but it will do nothing for flatulence. If you mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za I’ll send you something I wrote on flatulence – hopefully you can work out what the problem is. Otherwise the best would be to see a gastroenterologist and have him sort it out. Good luck.