Question
Posted by: flower | 2007/04/10

What is wrong - im confused

hi there, to cut a long story short my dog had a growth on his tail, i took him to the vet, and they removed it and sent it away. It came back as a friendly growth and i brought my dog home. I gave him the meds they gave me and he immediately started throwing up. I had to take him to the vet to have an injection to stop the throwing up and we stopped the meds and he was fine. However he didnt want to eat his food. I only buy super woof. the only time he would eat it is if i put a sauce over and then he would immediately throw up. I took him back to the vet, as he was also constipated and they gave him an enema and took X-rays ect. They cut him open and said his spleen looked very suspicious so they removed it and sent him home after he had two meals without problems. He seemed his old self again, jumping up and down and happy, until i gave him the super woof dog food, he didnt want it, after two days i mixed it with sauce and he ate it but threw it up immeidiately. Then i gave him other dog pellets and he ate it no problem, ate other dog tin food no problem and chicken and rice, no problem, but as soon as i give him the super woof he gets sick. Why? He has had it all his life and it was fine. What is the chances that this could be a bad batch? The vet said his blood count was low but that could be due to removing the spleen, i droped him off at the vet this morning as they want to check his blood count again. Waiting for the results. But do you think i could have bought a bad bag of super woof, and what could be worng if his blood count comes back and it is still low? Also can he live without his spleen? does this mean he has no anti body?

He can live without his spleen but will be more susceptible to certain diseases. What tablets made him throw up initially? Did they say what the lab found on the spleen examination? Obviously Super Woof is the problem - no way of knowing why or how but I would just change to another food that he keeps down.

2
Posted by: Blaah | 2007/04/10

i would say rather change the brand of food you are using, he may have developed a sensitivity to an ingredient in the food.

speak to the vet when you fetch the dog and ask him if this may be the case as well.

but if it was my dog i would rather change the brand of food, and judging from his age i would rather put him on a senior brand of food, for his aging and sensitive tummy.

the food may be t rich for him or have too much cereal in it.

try vets choice sensitive or senior

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: flower | 2007/04/10

oh yes, just want to say i have a german shepard and he is 8 years old.

Reply to flower